Phone: 0330 999 0959 | Email:

Understanding Section 7 Reports

Understanding Section 7 Reports

Child colouring with crayons

As a family mediation company, we often encounter questions about the various legal processes involved in family disputes. One common query we receive is about Section 7 Reports.

These reports play an important role in family law proceedings, providing valuable insights to courts when making decisions about children’s welfare. In this blog post, we’ll look at what exactly a Section 7 Report entails, why it’s necessary, and when individuals might need one.

What is a Section 7 Report?

In the context of family law in England and Wales, a Section 7 Report refers to a detailed assessment carried out by a court-appointed expert. This is typically a Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service (CAFCASS) officer or an independent social worker. This report is mandated under Section 7 of the Children Act 1989, hence its name.

Section 7 Reports, also called S7 Reports, are reports ordered by the court when there are worries about a child’s well-being in private law cases under the Children Act 1989. These reports can be done by Cafcass or the local authority if they are involved with the family.

Usually, S7 Reports are needed in cases about child arrangements where there are concerns about the child’s health and happiness. They can also be used for issues like changing a child’s school or stopping a parent from using their Parental Responsibility. If there are claims of domestic abuse, the court must follow Practice Direction 12J to make sure the abuse doesn’t harm the child.

What’s the process for a Section 7 Report?

A Section 7 Report usually takes 12 to 16 weeks to finish. It looks at things like:

  • What the child wants (based on their age and understanding)
  • Their physical, emotional and educational needs
  • How changes might affect them
  • Their age, gender, background, and any important traits
  • Any harm they’ve faced or might face
  • How well each parent and other people involved can meet their needs
  • What powers the court have in the case

During the process, the person writing the report talks to the parents, other family members, and professionals, such as the child’s doctor or teacher. They might also talk to the child if they’re old enough.

Why are Section 7 Reports important?

Section 7 Reports give the court a complete picture of what’s going on with the child so they can make a fair decision. These reports point out any big safety or well-being issues the court needs to know about. The main goal is to make recommendations to the court about what should happen next, especially about contact with the child.

After the report is done, the case goes to a Dispute Resolution Appointment (DRA) where the recommendations are discussed. To read more about what happens in a Dispute Resolution Appointment click HERE

Can the report be challenged?

If the Section 7 Report has wrong facts, parents can ask for corrections. If they just disagree with the report, they can tell the judge their concerns. They can also write a statement explaining what they disagree with, which goes to the court.


Section 7 Reports serve as invaluable tools in court proceedings involving children. Remember, when you apply to court for a child arrangements hearing, you are asking a judge to make a decision about your child. But the judge does not know your child and this report is a key tool in helping them with this decision.

By providing comprehensive assessments of each child’s circumstances and needs, these reports assist courts in making informed decisions that prioritize the well-being and welfare of the children involved. If you find yourself in a situation where a Section 7 Report is necessary, it’s essential to seek professional guidance and support to deal with the process effectively.

If you don’t want to go to court, there are currently £500 vouchers towards family mediation for you to agree as parents outside of court. In most cases, the court will have wanted you to attempt family mediation first before making an application to the court.



Related Posts

We can resolve your financial, property or parenting issues amicably, cost effectively and fairly

Book Your Consultation Here
Contact us to find out more about why mediation can help your case. 0330 999 0959 or email

How can Mediation Help?

We can help resolve your Financial, Property or Parenting issues, amicably, cost effectively and fairly.